Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday 17th April 2010 (Logrono to Ventosa - total walked to date 116.92km)
The roads were wet from rain in the early hours of the morning when we set off.  We had a bonus today - we left at 10.00am after a lovely breakfast at a local bar (well, bar at night and restaurant by day).  We went in purely from looking at the number of well-dressed locals having their breakfast there too.  The 21km walk to Ventosa today was a walk in the park, literally.  Quite a lot of the way was on tarmac and we were taken through Logrono's city park that meandered to the reservoir.  After days of countrysides, it was rather nice to walk through the city - once again, only window shopping was allowed.  What a pity that the Spanish economy could not be boosted by us.  Today I was walking with a new pair of shoes - a pair of Spanish made trekking sandals called Ch??? (oops I even forgot the brand) but it had good Vibram soles.  Bought a size bigger because I think my feet have swelled.  Not the prettiest pair of footwear but after 21km today, it seems rather good.  I was looking for Teva or Keens but couldn't find them in Logrono (given that we had only last night to look, I was lucky to even find something).  Oh dear, if my feet keeps growing bigger, I will be Bigfoot when I return :-(  :-( ....... Anyway the weather was also very kind to us. Except for a few drops when we set off in the morning, it remained cloudy and cold.  Our walk was for a good part through vineyards, lots of vineyards, after all this is Rioja country!  We are stopping at Albergue San Saturnino in Ventosa for the night.  It is very nice.  Modern with kitchen and laundry facilities.  So, Gen cooked dinner, Joy did the laundry and I, what did I do?  Write blog and work lor!!  We had chicken rice with zucchini and ham and a fresh salad with honey and mustard dressing.  I am not kidding, we really had chicken rice - it was such a treat and we must thank Gen for brining this surprise.  I would like to go on and on but it is lights out here at the Albergue San Saturnino in Ventosa at 10.00pm (strict huh!) and also silence time.  So I should sign off and turn off the lights.  We have 6 beds in our room and our roomies are a Korean couple who is fast asleep.  Generally everyone sleeps early so that they can recharge for the following day.  The photos today are not so brilliant because of the dull and wet day.  I am having difficulties inserting photos here.  Go to my facebook to check out photos.  Will see if I have better lucky tomorrow.  Probably because I am using a mobile broadband and it is very slow.  Latest .. no luck uploading on Facebook either.  Once I get high speed connection I will download them.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, neh mind. I sent your other pictures around. More pictures, more money. Lookes like you had a better time today, than the day you had to go uphill

    See you soon !!!

    ReplyDelete